Columbia Forest NeighborhoodJuly 19th, 2021
Columbia Forest covers parts of both Neighborhood Center and Village Center
Boundries North: Columbia Pike, East: Arlington/Fairfax County line, South: S. George Mason Drive, West: Four Mile Run.
The Columbia Forest Community of single-family homes was established in 1941. It was built to house wartime Pentagon workers. Soon after WWII, more single-family homes were built. Starting in the 50’s, apartments and condominiums were built along Columbia Pike adding more housing options.
Wakefield High School
Wakefield High School is not actually in the Columbia Forest Neighborhood. It is immediately across the boundry line on S. George Mason Drive.
Food Truck Party
The Columbia Forest Civic Association organizes a Food Truck Party a number of times each year with food trucks and entertainment. Normally there is a pretty good turnout. None of these events were held due to Covid19 in 2020.
In 1669, a sea captain, Robert Howson, was given a grant of 6000 acres of land for bringing 120 passengers to Virginia. The captain immediately sold the land to John Alexander, a member of the family for which the City of Alexandria is named. Subsequently, the land was divided into smaller parcels and sold. Two such parcels include what is now Columbia Forest and were sold to Stephan Gray and Gabriel Adams. In 1774, this land, equal to 1200 acres, was sold to George Washington. At Washington’s death, the land was willed to his relative, George Custis, who combined it with other family land to form the Arlington Plantation, from which the present name of the county is derived. Arlington Plantation was part of the 34 square miles of land granted by the State of Virginia to form the District of Columbia. In 1847, after almost 50 years, the land was returned to Virginia. The land was ultimately divided between the City of Alexandria and a new county named Alexandria County. In 1920, because of confusion in the names between the City of Alexandria, which was not in the County of Alexandria, the name of the county was changed to Arlington County.Columbia Forest Conservation Plan page 3