Arlington VillageJune 21, 2015
Town Center: Columbia Heights
Main Entrance: Columbia Pike & South Barton
Garden Apartments / Townhouses
Arlington Village is built on 53 acres of land which the developer Gustav Ring purchase from B. M.Smith in 1939. The complex was financed through the Federal Housing Administration. Originaly Arlington Village was rental apartments now it is condominiums and cooperative apartments. It is located between South Edgewood, Barton, 16th streets and Columbia Pike.
Arlington Village consists of a garden apartment / townhouse complex with green spaces, a swimming pool and tennis courts and a small shopping center. It was designed by Developer, Gustave Ring and Architect, Harvey Warwick. The Architectural style is Colonial Revival. The housing is divided into small areas each with gardens, mature trees, shurbs and flowers. Arlington Village is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, (form). In addition to the large trees that canopy the townhouses there is also a large wooded area with a stream which is certified as a Natural Wildlife Habitat.
Gustave Ring who originally bought the land for $362,500 and built 661units, sold the complex in the early 1950s to New England Life Insurance Co. for $5 million. They added the swimming pool and tennis courts and additional parking. The complex has changed hands a couple of times since then. In 1980 the Arlington Village Townhouse Condominium started the townhouse renovations . The renovations were completed in 1985, during which time many residents purchased their units.
Arlington Mill Shopping Center is listed as an Historic Structure. The shopping center has two levels. The upper level faces Columbia Pike and is right across the road from Penrose Square. It is between South Barton and South Cleveland. Access to the lower level is behind the building where there is also a parking lot. This parking lot is for customers only. There is two lanes of parking available in front of the upper level
Sides and Lower Level