feb 4, 2021
Alcova Heights: Village Center - Town Center, borders parts of both
Alcova Heights was given its name by real estate developer J. Cloyd Byars. "Alcova" stands for Alexandria County, Virginia. In 1921, Byars bought 142 acres from the Columbia Land Company and sold the lots for five cents a square foot.history
Next to the northern end of Alcova Heights Park is the National Guard Bureau and the National Foreigh Affairs Traning Center. This was the orginal site for Arlington Hall.
Arlington Hall was built in the 1920s as a select school for girls, Swidells Junior College. It went bankrupt in 1930, but managed to keep going until the Army took over the rural campus in the 1940s. The first headquarters of the Defense Intelligence Agency was in this installation. Many of the homes of Alcova Heights are built on the former grounds of this old institution. history