November 1, 2023
Green Vally is not on the Pike but is very close and is bordered by two other Pike Neighborhoods, Douglas Park and Columbia Heights.
The Green Valley neighborhood, formerly known as, the Nauck, began to take shape just after the Civil War. Levi and Sarah Ann Jones were among the first African Americans to buy land and build a home in what is now Nauck in 1844. After the Civil War, the area attracted several families from the nearby Freedman's Village, near the present-day Foxcroft Heights. Then in 1874, John D. Nauck, Jr., a Washington, D.C. resident, bought 46 acres of land, subdivided it and sold lots to other families. The introduction of the electric railway in 1898 spurred further development. (from plaque above)
As a business and civil rights leader, Leonard "Doc" Muse established Arlington County's first African-American owned and operated pharmacy at 2415 Shirlington Road in 1952. He overcame the challenges of racism, segregation, and inequality to bring necessary services to the surrounding Nauck neighborhood and beyond. At the Green Valley Pharmacy, African Americans and all races were treated with dignity and respect. Muse provided both medications and medical advice, while customers could dine-in at the lunch counter. The sense of community that Muse created decades ago helped unify Nauck and Arlington County. Designated an Arlington County Historic District in 2013, the Green Valley Pharmacy is a tribute to the lasting and powerful legacy of Leonard "Doc" Muse.
(from Plaque above)